In Wageningen you will find several bank shops where students may go to apply for a Dutch bank account. Most of these bank shops will ask you for your BSN (Citizen service number) before opening a bank account. The municipality will provide you with this BSN as soon as you are registered as a citizen of Wageningen (this procedure may take a few weeks).
To shorten this procedure we recommend students to apply for a bank account at the ABN AMRO bank. The ABN AMRO bank allows students to apply for a bank account before they have received their BSN. Do not start this procedure before our housing department has informed you about your address in the Netherlands.
Please find below the steps you need to take:
ABN AMRO bank:
- Go the ABN AMRO internet site
- Fill in the application form for an “International Student Account”
- Print the form
- Put your signature on it.
- Send a scanned copy to ISS. In case you have already arrived in Wageningen you may hand in the completed form at the Student Front Desk in the Forum Building.
- ISS will check it and if OK approve it and send it to the ABN-AMRO bank.
- Within 2 weeks after filling in the form you will receive an email from the ABN-AMRO bank Wageningen inviting you to come to the bank shop to sign the contract. They will also inform you about the documents you need to bring*.
*The bank shop will ask you for a summary from the Municipal Basic Administration (GBA) mentioning your BSN number. If your BSN number is not yet available, the bank will give another 2 months to submit the BSN number. In case you do not submit the number within those 2 months, the bank will close your account.
Living allowance through Wageningen University:
Only applicable to students who receive living allowance through Wageningen University:
Please hand in your account number at the student desk with the following information or submit the information through our 'Questions and Answers' : Name, Student number, Address (in the Netherlands), Bank account number
Please check your account number and make sure that it is correct.
Please make sure that you give us your personal account number and not a savings account number.