Genetically Modified Organisms, or GMOs, are plants, animals or bacteria which have been altered genetically. By genetically modifying a plant it can be desensitised to the effects of harmful insects. RIKILT’s carries out safety assessments of GMO products and advises governments about the use of GMOs.
- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow social media buttons to be displayed. - check your settings
- Conducting safety assessments of GMO based food and feed
- Analysing samples for the Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority
- Inspects animal feeds for the presence of authorised and non-authorised GMOs
- Detection of GMOs in the food chain to ensure proper labelling of GMO products and for tracking down prohibited GMOs
- Developing new methods for investigating the safety of complex foodstuffs
- Advising various national and international government bodies regarding the safety and detection of GMOs
- Evaluating the safety of GMOs for market authorisation
RIKILT assesses the safety of complex foodstuffs by using transcriptomics and metabolomics analysis . To measure GMOs in products, molecular biological techniques such as microarray technology are used.