Is Tuscan olive oil really from Tuscany? And are (example nutrients). These are examples of the type of authenticity and nutrient related questions which RIKILT deals with on a regular basis.
- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow social media buttons to be displayed. - check your settings
RIKILT inspects the authenticity of foodstuffs, animal feed and fertilisers and verifies the identity of these products. We investigate:
- Compositional authenticity, for example the origin of fish species, N-replacements in milk, functional components in special honey, mineral fertilisers in manure
- Processing characteristics such as freezing history
- Geographical origins, whether a product is from an EU or non-EU country or region.
- Production methods e.g. organic eggs, sustainable palm oil, halal, durable
- Typical characteristics of artisanal products, such as farmers cheese from Leiden (the origin of this cheese is guaranteed by pressing the municipal insignia into the cheese)
Applied techniques include:
- Mass spectrometry, such as:
- Infrared technology
- DNA based methodology
- Visual evaluations
Specific markers and the increasing use of fingerprint technology combined with advanced statistical methods result in up-to-date analyses.