IMARES has prepared an overview in Google Earth of High Seas areas that are closed to bottom fisheries.
A number of high seas areas are now closed to bottom fisheries, in order to protect vulnerable marine ecosystems such as cold water corals and sponges (see UNGA resolution 61/105). The areas are closed by Regional Fishery Management Organizations (RFMOs), in accordance with the United Nations General Assembly resolution 61/105.
The file with an overview of High Seas bottom fisheries closures shows the following information:
- All areas closed to bottom fisheries on the high seas
- Time animations of these areas (use the time slider)
- Regulatory areas of the RFMOs (for filled areas: use the tick box)
- Information per protected area (click on the icon or in the list to open the balloon)
- A factsheet per area (click in the balloon), including coordinates and size (km2)