Wageningen University is listed as the number 2 in the world in the field of Food Science and Nutrition (source : www.cest.ch) and as first in Europe. The ISI Web of Science (www.isinet.com) lists Wageningen University as third research institute in the world, but as second university after Cornell University (US) in the field of food science and technology.
Wageningen University also offers high-level courses and research in all areas of food science, ranging from advanced technical fields such as Molecular Biology to fields with a more economic or sociological focus such as Marketing and Consumer Wishes. The Wageningen Food Science faculty is larger than that at any other European university, and includes professors and lecturers from a wide range of departments: Food Chemistry, Food Physics, Food Microbiology, Product Design and Quality Management, Food Process Engineering and Toxicology.
International student population
Wageningen University has a very international student population, with on average students from over 30 nationalities taking part annually in the food programmes: Food Technology, Food Safety and Food Quality Management.
FoodValley is a publilc-private organisation which aims to promote food science research and industry in the region around Wageningen.
Food Valley stimulates innovation in the Dutch agro-food sector, with demand as its driving force. It acts on its 'conscience': the needs expressed by the business community. By partnering knowledge with enterprise, we ensure the wealth of food expertise in the Netherlands is put to optimal use. Over 100 companies and organisations are members of the Foodvalley Society.
For more information : FoodValley website
Member organisations : FoodValley Society
Wageningen University Study Programmes in Food Sciences:
- BSc Food Science and Technology (Levensmiddelentechnologie, in Dutch only)
- MSc Food Technology
- MSc European Masters Degree in Food Studies
- MSc Food Safety
- MSc Food Quality Management
All MSc programmes are taught completely in English at the Wageningen University Departments:
- Department of Food Chemistry
- Department of Food Physics
- Department of Food Microbiology
- Department of Food Process Engineering
- Department of Product Design and Quality Management
- Department of Toxicology (Food Safety)
- Department of Nutrition and Health
Graduate (PhD) School VLAG
Total number of staff in Food Science departments:
- Full professors : 22
- Associate and Assistant professors : approx. 60
- PhD fellows : approx 85
- Technical staff : approx. 30.
Food Sciences study association : Nicolas Appert
- RIKILT, State Institute for Food Safety
- Wageningen allergy centre
- NIZO Food Research
- Top Institute Food and Nutrition
- Food Technology Centre
- Nederlands Bakkerij Centrum (National Bakery Centre)